Indoor/ Outdoor Landscape Architect
An Indoor or Outdoor landscape architect can contribute greatly to the energy efficiency of a building's heating and air conditioning system. If you consider that an architect is responsible for design of a building to perform the desired function at optimal efficiency, then a landscape architect would have the same responsibilities.
The career outlook for an indoor/outdoor landscape architect is very favorable. They make on average $49-$83 thousand a year.
Not only can they contribute greatly to the efficiency of the heating and air conditioning systems, but a landscape architect can add a great visual enhancement to an otherwise bland building.
By surrounding the building with trees for shade, and allowing southern exposure windows to let sun in during winter months through planting deciduous trees, they may decide to shield the northern exposure with plantings of evergreens to provide a windbreak in winter months, for example. A landscape architect takes everything into consideration when designing the optimal landscape for a building.
Indoor or Outdoor landscape architect jobs involve adding plants, rocks, flowers and shrubs to enhance the dÃ©cor, utilize as much of the natural surroundings or use natural elements when it comes to the focus on "green" architect responsibilities. Even natural pest control can be obtained by planting certain perennials for mosquito control and other pests that can be controlled without the use of pesticides or chemicals.
Through the use of drought resistant plants, and natural plants, water conservation can be obtained. With pest tolerant and repellent plantings, pest control can be obtained without chemicals, using natural materials found at the site, such as rocks and boulders are good ways to utilize a green philosophy and save money.
Depending on what like of landscape architect you plan to go into, a horticulture class is helpful, although common sense with a green philosophy can go a long way. LEED certification is now recognized nationally as green landscape architect and building architect construction.
A degree in architecture can mean an entrance into this occupation, but LEED certification is in high demand and is knowledge which is necessary in today's construction and landscape environment, that utilizes renewable and sustainable natural products in building and landscaping.
The use of renewable building products is incorporated with conservation of energy and water in landscape architect and building architect assignments.
Indoor/ Outdoor Landscape Architect Resources*Color Drawing: Design Drawing Skills and Techniques for Architects, Landscape Architects, and Interior Designers
*Planting Design Illustrated
*Lake|Flato: Buildings & Landscapes (v. 2)
*The New Urbanism: Toward an Architecture of Community
Natural Building Jobs
- Five Frequently Asked Questions and Answers About Sustainable Home Design
- Careers in Natural Building
- What is Earthship Biotecture, and How to Get a Job Building Homes
- Thinking of a Career as an Architect? How About one as a Natural Home Builder
- The Best Natural Building Technique
- Ways to Become a Natural Builder
- Rising Popularity of Natural Building Jobs
- Natural Building Careers: Transitioning from a Traditional Interior Designer to a Green Interior Designer
- Natural Building Careers: A Career Opportunity in Sustainable Home Design
- Landscape Architecture is an Industry That is Growing By Leaps And Bounds
- Landscape Architects: Design with Efficiency
- How to Learn Sustainable Home Building?
- How Will Natural Building Differ From Already-Known Methods?
- How to Become an Indoor/Outdoor Architect
- How Straw Bale Construction Helps in Construction Projects?
- Green Interior Designer
- Indoor/ Outdoor Landscape Architect
- Natural Home Builder
- Sustainable Home Design
- Straw Bale Construction
Share your story!
Do you have a career in this field? Share it!