Solar Operations Engineers
What is a Solar Operations Engineer?
A Solar Operations Engineer is essentially an architect of new solar energy facilities. They design new solar systems, supervise and inspect the structures during construction, then test and monitor the new facilities.***ad-top-right.shtml***
The career outlook for a solar operations engineer is good. They make on average $52-$62 thousand a year.
Solar Operations Engineers are generally considered to be experts on solar energy technology. They help develop new technologies, and adapt existing solar technologies to new, different circumstances.
Some companies may require Solar Operations Engineers to monitor existing solar energy facilities. In this case, their job responsibilities would include overseeing the smooth, peak operation of solar farms in addition to designing new ones.
What Are the Qualifications for a Solar Operations Engineer?
A great deal of training and knowledge is required to develop and design solar facilities. A Bachelor's Degree in engineering (preferably electrical engineering) would be required. A Master's degree in the same fields would give you an employment edge.
A Solar Operations Engineer must be familiar with both the design AND construction of solar power facilities. To this end, construction training and experience are highly preferred. Having an NABCEP certification or an electrical contractor's license are a plus. Having at least a year of hands-on experience in fabricating, installing, testing, maintaining, or repairing solar equipment is another invaluable resume builder.
What Type of Person Is Good for This Position?
A job on this scale would require someone who is organized, detail-oriented, and can work under strict timetables. At the same time, it require someone who is flexible and adaptable, handles themselves well under pressure, and can work well with other people (superiors, coworkers, and subordinates) in stressful situations. When seeing a project on this scale through from conception to completion, unexpected complications always arise at some point (usually at the worst possible moment), and the job requires someone who can switch gears quickly and roll with the punches.
Solar Operations Engineer Resources*Solar Power Your Home For Dummies (For Dummies (Home & Garden))
*Photovoltaics: Design and Installation Manual
*Got Sun? Go Solar: Get Free Renewable Energy to Power Your Grid-Tied Home
*The Renewable Energy Handbook: A Guide to Rural Energy Independence, Off-Grid and Sustainable Living
- Train to Install Solar Panels
- Selling a Piece of the Sun - Building a Sustainable Career in Solar Sales
- Solar Energy Project Management Design Future
- Learning Auto Cad to Become a Solar PV Design Engineer
- How to Be a Solar Installer
- Solar Power Installer: A Fast-Growing Green Career
- Green Job Opportunities for Solar Power Installers
- Get a High-Paying Green Job as a Solar Power Installer
- Solar Thermal Is the Fastest Growing Industry in the World
- What do Solar Fabrication Technicians do?
- Why Installing Solar Panels a Good Idea?
- What a Solar Lab Technician Does?
- Solar Operations Engineer
- Solar & PV Installer-Roofer
- Solar Fabrication Technician
- Solar Lab Technician
- Photovoltaic-PV Fabrication Testing Technician
- Solar Hot Water Installer
- Solar Radiant Heating Installer
- Photovoltaic-PV Solar Designer
- Solar Sales
- PV Solar Panel Installer
- Installer- Solar Thermal
Share your story!
Do you have a career in this field? Share it!